Discovering Stored Treasures

Discovering Genealogy, One Ancestor at a Time.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Genealogy Art

Most of the time my immediate family is a bit tired of hearing about dead relatives and genealogy. Between you and I, who can blame them. I'm addicted to this stuff. There are more photos around my house of dead relatives than living ones (in my defense, I left a lot of the more recent framed family portraits in Mexico when we moved). I spend hours each day, researching my family history, writing this blog and promoting my book. I live and breathe genealogy, but my family does not. Not that they are not supportive or understanding. Last month, I wrote about how they unknowingly enjoyed genealogy on our vacation. Yet, in general, they are just not that interested. They don't need to be. I'm the official family historian, and I'm preserving the story for them, so they don't have to worry.

A while back, I had come across a big discovery in my research (which I wrote about in an earlier blog Never Give Up and Good Things Will Come). Finding Yad Vashem documents for my family who died in the holocaust was very powerful. This time, my husband, who normally, stays on the sidelines of my work, was heavily impacted as well. One the one hand, I had been digging up, amazing vintage photos of his family. On the other hand, I had just uncovered important documents of relatives we knew little about. He couldn't sleep, and in the morning he shared a remarkable idea with me.

His plan was to make an art installation inspired by our ancestors. The idea was in it's infancy, but he knew he need my images. Somehow he wanted to represent how our forefathers are the foundation of our lives. He experimented with all kinds of materials and after much trial and error he produced an amazing installation which he titled: Our Ancestors.

Our Ancestors
Jaime Belkind-Gerson
Images, Rocks, Sand and Water

The art work consist of eighteen large rocks, set in a reflective pool. Most are covered with the faces of our ancestors going back five generations. The bare stones represent those ancestors we lost in the holocaust. This installation, is one of the most power pieces my husband has ever created. The sheer size of these bolders, reinforces the importance of our ancestors. While as a genealogist, I often think of my ancestors, as branches of a tree, this installation, flips the tree around, placing the ancestors at the root holding the tree together. The number eighteen, symbolizes Chai, meaning life in Hebrew, as these are the people who gave us life. My husband explained that while he dedicated this work to our grandparents who represent the past, our children—who are our future— were his inspiration. 

Visitors, stood in silence and awe for a very long time, as they observed the rocks. Some related the rocks to tombstones, other recalled the small stones placed on Jewish graves, yet others saw the installation as an altar. Family members and strangers alike, were brought to tears by this powerful exhibit. Some were struck by the resemblance of our grandparents to my husband and I.  Others, were mesmerized by seeing their own reflections in the water blending together with the reflections of our forefathers. This moving reflection, augments the mystical or spiritual aspect of the work and symbolizes the eternal presence of an aura or soul. Seeing one's refection in the work, merges the viewer who is in the present, with the ancestors of the past and the future that is built on these strong foundations.

Our Ancestors  at Studio5 as part of the Permanence and Disappearance exhibit 2010.



I'll let the work, speak mostly for itself. I thank my husband for this remarkable collaboration, where he expressed the importance of the work I'm doing in his unique and beautiful way. I hope, this exhibit will one day find a permanent home in a museum or a park. 

7 comments:

  1. What a significant--and tangible--way to express what your research means. Thank you for the explanation of Chai and the number 18. I'm sure there are so many other nuances tucked away in this display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jacqi, but my husband mostly likes people to reach their own conclusions by view and interacting with the work. It would be neat to have it displayed at a genealogy conference one day. I believe it speaks very deeply to genealogist.

      Delete
  2. So emotional, so connecting, so touching, so tangible ... something to be cherished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynne. I'm glad it touched you! It is a memorial to be cherished.

      Delete
  3. Hi! I came upon your blog posting while doing research for an upcoming workshop I am giving in Pittsburgh next month on Artistic Genealogy: Charting Your Creative Journey. It is a system I have devised whereupon artists go through a series of written and verbal genealogical exercises in both personal and group sessions, along with art share and more fun, that help reveal their creative selves as relating to Ancestry, Family, Medical, Social, Artist and technological Genealogies format. I was wondering if we could have a conversation about how you use genealogy in your work. Please contact me at monaleisa@bellsouth.net. My web site is http://monaleisa.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a visual artist and have been trying to come up with a way to use my genealogy research in my work. This is a powerful example of a solution. Very moving, and a wonderful tribute to the "foundations" of your families.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wish you the best of luck in your pursuit!

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your comments!