Discovering Stored Treasures

Discovering Genealogy, One Ancestor at a Time.

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Treasure Chest Thursday: Surprise Package

I'm jumping onto the Treasure Chest Thursday bandwagon today! I know I don't have a blog corner dedicated to this particular geneablogger daily prompt but I just couldn't help it!

As I was leisurely sipping my morning coffee, browsing my favorite blogs and answering some of my followers comments from last night, the doorbell rang! Lincoln was at the door. Remember Don Lincoln? He's my amazing handyman who successfully assembled the now—somewhat famous— "Tienda" in my office (see: La Tienda Part I and Part II). This achievement has already earned him a place in my family's history. Lately, he has been spending so much time in our home, that he has pretty much become part of the family. Yesterday, he finished installing the garage shelves which replaced the bulky antique (see photo), and he is still working on a few left over projects. In addition to expert handyman, today he took on the role of treasure bearer.
The garage after Lincoln finished replacing the "Tienda" with
garage storage. His work table is still taking up part of the garage
will be gone soon! Notice the amazing bike rack! 

"You have a package," Lincoln said, and handed me what looked more like a thick white envelope.

"Not much of a package" I thought, thanked him and accepted the envelope. The padded envelope, was addressed to me. When I spotted the sender, I became a bit more intrigued.  My grandmother Ethel's (from Ethel's Scrapbook) first cousin Marty Bloomfield had e-mailed me a few days ago, asking for my mailing address. He mentioned some pictures he wanted to drop in the mail. Marty, has been one of a handful of trusted Bloomfield collaborators. In his email, he hadn't specified which pictures he was sending and I figured I would wait and see. Honestly, I wasn't expecting a treasure! He has shared a bunch of amazing photos with me in the past, and since his note didn't mention any new discoveries, I was inclined to think this might be a photo of Marty and his family. Not that I wouldn't enjoy such a photo. I absolutely would, Marty! But let's just say that, I would not have posted a modern family portrait on the blog under Treasure Chest Thursday.

When I opened the package, I couldn't believe it. Tucked inside a couple of old cardboard photo frames were 28 original vintage photographs, 2 newspaper articles, 1 postcard and 1 slide. I had seen a few of the photos before. These were photos of the Bloomfield brothers which Marty had scanned for me in the past and which I shared on this blog a several months ago. But most of the photos were brand new to me! Why Marty decided to entrust me with all of the originals, I'm not sure, but boy am I grateful!

Just when I think there are no more family treasures. No more lost diaries, or old albums, something always shows up. Another Stored Treasure! Thanks Marty for this amazing gift and for making my day, my week, my month and probably my year! I'm going to study these amazing treasures carefully and promise to share them with all of you soon! In the meantime, here is a glimpse of today's treasure!

Treasure Chest in the form of a white envelope, with the treasure content I found inside.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes! Very exciting! Thanks, Jana!

      Delete
    2. Smadar,

      I want to let you know that your blog post is listed in today's Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2013/06/follow-friday-fab-finds-for-june-14-2013.html

      Have a great weekend!

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Jana. I'm always thrilled when my post make your Fab Finds list! I'll be sure to let my followers know as well as check out your other picks. You always provide me with great reading suggestions for the weekend!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like material for some more great discovers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There promises to be clues that should lead to new discoveries!

      Delete
  3. What a nice surprise! Gee - I wish my doorbell would ring and bring me something as exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this business, I've learned that there is always some other treasure out there waiting to be discovered! I hope yours will find it's way to you somehow, and soon! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Smadar, you are becoming the one in the family who "gets the stuff" -- the memorabilia and vintage photographs that people hand down--because your relatives know you value the past and also blog about it! Marty Bloomfield and other trusted Bloomfield collaborators are learning to seek you out! Congratulations, and I'm so glad for you.

    I really like the photo of your garage with the new infrastructure that Lincoln has given it. Our garage has seemed hopeless to me, but perhaps someone like Lincoln could shape it up. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being the trusted family historian is a wonderful role (and hard earned). I do feel the weight of the responsibility and at the same time enjoy it greatly!
    I doubt Lincoln would do a job in Connecticut. It's a bit far for him, but if you are seriously in need of his services, I'm happy to ask. He is truly wonderful! I do believe your garage is not hopeless! There is so much you can do when you organize a space well and it makes a huge difference. There should be a local Don Lincoln who can help!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your comments!